Thursday, January 12, 2006

booth setting at YJC

yesterday was quite a long day for me. in the morning had MA1506 lecture again, and the content is really beginning to pick up. oh man.... guess 2nd upper isn't as easy as it seems... maybe police force is not for me next time.

anyway, today was the highlight of all the planning that my team had been doing so far - a trip to YJC to publicise Raffles Hall to them. Well, the trip went well although the response was very poor as this is not the period of time that JC students would be interested in NUS and Hall life. We did give out a few prospectus, though.

I returned to an empty RH. Why is that so? because the whole hall was out for IHG Opening ceremony. Someone commented that this year's IHG T-shirt looked silly, and I replied that "well the whole point of wearing silly T shirts is that everyone wears it together :P" (I'm quite inclined to say the same thing about the HOBTC batch T-shirt, but doing so would denigrate the efforts that Thomas and Shihui had put in to get the T-shirt out. Anyway it's not too bad, although now I have three black polo T-shirts in my wardrobe, and wearing them with black trousers - which I do for my St John half-U - makes me look like a security guard or a bouncer.)

Well, as per previous years, we didn't do very well, finishing only in front of KE7. (In fact there were a couple of events where we even lost to KE7). Someone commented that 'even in the face of losing.. there is always KE7'..

I feel that the whole IHG thing is a vicious cycle. When KE7 and Raffles perform poorly in IHG, they are unable to attract the talented sportspeople (who get 'imported' by Eusoff, Temasek etc.) Therefore, they

Something must be done to break the cycle. I heard that PGP wanted to join in but couldn't due to some problems. Perhaps the Residences could come in and give the sports halls a run for their money. In fact, I was discussing with some friends over breakfast today that perhaps, those sportspeople who get kicked out of Eusoff, etc may end up playing for PGP and toppling Eusoff... possibilities are endless.

Perhaps the introduction of PGP into IHG could add a different dimension to IHG... Because frankly speaking, no one really gives a damn about how good a hall is in other areas like cultural or academic or whichever. IHG is still the most tanglible yardstick to measure how good (or how lacking) a hall is.

No comments: