Friday, October 31, 2008

Job Search

I officially have a job...


Consider myself quite fortunate... and quite ironic that among my circle of friends I have the lowest CAP but yet, am the first to pin down a job... proves that CAP does not matter yeah? :D

Class of honours only affects the starting pay... but it will all even out in the end... If it was on the basis of my grades, i would never have even been shortlisted... but in spite of that, having a good honours comes as a bonus but not the be-all-and-end-all that some make it out to be.

I was asked recently "what's the use of getting an NYAA Gold? what does it do?"

The experiences and character development one gains through participating in the programme is priceless... It's a pity some cannot see the point of participating in CCAs.

Although I have little exposure to culture and sports CCAs (having been a strong uniformed groups and committees person all my life) I consider my CCA experience to have been pretty enriching, culminating in achieving the NYAA Gold this year.

And now, nearing the end of my formal education I look back at the past 25 years and ask myself: what would I have done differently?

The thing I would have wanted to do differently was, I would have wanted to be combat fit and have at least a chance of trying out for command school during NS... Not because I want the pride of being an officer but I want the experience of undergoing the process...

But then again everything works out for a purpose. Due to certain reasons (which may in the end be a blessing in disguise), I ended up not being combat fit and as such, unable to pursue my dream of a career in the SAF. But 2 years and 4 months in that organisation (and seeing a side not depicted in the recruitment ads) made me think long and hard about whether is it worth it?

It's a blessing in disguise that I am not saddled with the liability of taking IPPT and pushing my body to certain arbitary standards. Yes exercise is good but everyone's bodies are designed differently...

Perhaps more exposure to sports in my younger days would have done me good.

No comments: