Thursday, August 16, 2007

Some random thoughts about my Organisations

A question was posed to me recently about my committments in general. Currently, besides my academic, church and hall committments, I have two Organisations that regular readers of my blog should know.

My involvement in both Organisations can be as heavy or as light as I want it to be. Of course, it's foolhardy to just dive into it for the sake of it. Before taking on any new project, basic economics demands we apply the principle of opportunity cost. Can the time spent be put to better use? Always ask this question first.

Also another economics principle, return on investment. What are the gains (in terms of personal satisfaction, such as knowing that what I have done has helped another person, or my own personal development? Caveat: not monetary gains of course..)

[[DISCLAIMER: I am no econs major, and my understanding of Econs is pretty basic, so pardon me if I applied certain theories wrongly]]

With these in mind...
---

I have formalised my plan to call it a day in The Other Organisation. Strange to say, there are no feelings of loss whatsoever. It's just a feeling of emptiness as to whether it was the right choice to join The Other Organisation in the first place.

No doubt, I have been exposed to many new things which put me in good stead for my dealings with teachers especially now in my role in The Organisation. But after all the instances whereby my effort was put to waste (zero return of investment), I think it's been a very expensive exposure indeed.

For these couple of years in particular, my later half of my studies in NUS, I will not be active at all due to my academic committments... and also due to the fact that I am taking up a key position in hall. After that, I would start working and it would be a whole new challenge to keep on top of my working schedule. Probably I won't even be able to continue then, so might as well beat my retreat now and focus on the more critical stuff.

So, principle of opportunity cost and return on investment applies here. Nuff said...

So, I have cut back on one of my 'outside' activities. I am now left with The Organisation...

I received an email from my superior recently that was very much a pat on the back for my hard work. Nothing is more important than knowing that you've done a good job and others have benefited from it.

---

It's okay if certain 'old people's mindset' cannot change... that is why younger ones are getting frustrated and leaving the organisation (notice it's not in caps, hence it does not refer to any particular Organisation). I do not find myself in this situation.. yet. But I couldn't help but wonder. One of my colleagues with sterling service has decided to call it quits.

In order for any organisation to change, we have to move with the times. The head of The Other Organisation once said to us, one of the excuses she hates the most is: "It was done this way last time". My formation RSM always asked us.."Last time, policemen wear shorts".

We should not follow what was done in the past blindly, rather we use it as a reference and brainstorm how it can be improved for this day and age.

---

I saw a very interesting disclaimer on another blog that goes somewhere along the lines of:

"This author advises everyone that blogs are worse than porn. Therefore... If what I had said is untrue in any way, this author deeply regrets all distress and inconvenience caused, and advises everyone to go to porn sites instead for better entertainment."

Well... quite true to a certain extent... but i won't opt for 'better entertainment', thank you. I think I should write a disclaimer along the lines of 'if you don't like / don't agree, you are always free to hit Alt-F4 and go back to what you were doing before this'.

No comments: