Saturday, August 25, 2007

Random thoughts at the end of week two

Just a random thought occured to me during breakfast today.

There are people around who KPKB about a lot of things, but do not lift a finger to help.

Basically 'All Talk and No Action'.

Well as they say 'Empty Vessels Make the Most Noise'...

Something I am really beginning to appreciate especially after taking up The Important Responsibility in hall.

By the way, going down later today to support one of my friends in The Organisation. His Corps turns 10 today :)
-------
Some other random thoughts:

This friend of mine passed out from the Officer's Course only one year after me. Yet till this day, he still addresses me as 'Sir', a gesture which I do not demand but I appreciate it nevertheless. Compare to the younger ones 4 or 5 batches younger. Back then respect for seniority was prized, I don't know what happened along the way.

Come to think of it, about the officers who I trained under as a cadet. If they were to resume their service in The Organisation, will still be calling them Sir / Ma'am even though I'm of higher rank than them now. But sometimes, it's not about what it is on the shoulder, but about the experience that they have had. Therefore we must have mutual respect for one another. Otherwise, take an example from SAF. The 2WO will not respect the 2LT just because of his rank. But if the 2LT will respect the 2WO for his experience and wisdom gained from his 20-odd years of service, I am sure most 2WO will at least give face to him... Of course there are black sheep officers who come out from That Training School cocky and all that. Will they earn the respect of subordinates?

There are a variety of reasons why someone is below you in the pecking order. He could have not had sufficient experience or qualifications. Or he may not have 'apple polished' his way up as well as others. However, everyone is special in his or her own way. Everyone has his or her own way to contribute to the organisation, if you can find a way to motivate them and harness that potential in them.

Even in that particular district in The Organisation, there are a few officers being sidelined, jokingly termed the "Long Term Captains". I can't help but wonder if they actually have the passion to contribute, just that there has been some offence taken in the past which causes their attitude to be like this now...Could it be that now, they are like this simply because they have given up trying?

(I begin to sense I'm being overly optimistic here... but anyway)

We do not salute the man but the rank. But everyone is unique, everyone is special and we respect that. Respect begets respect. The golden rule: do unto others as you would others do unto you. Law of attraction (those who watch The Secret will know). I've seen it come true in my life in more than one way.

I am convinced that my life's purpose is to do something that benefits people. And ever since I have discovered this purpose, I daresay I have had a paradigm shift... and now I see a bigger picture... having said that, I still have lots of room for improvement... and it is my prayer that God will help me in this , for it is not by my strength but His.
-----
And this is for you, my senior in JC and now hall, you know who you are:

You have meant well for me during the period when my life had no direction. And I had inadverently clashed with you right here in this blog. But at the end of it all you meant well. I was simply not teachable during that period of time... and i am sorry if I had hurt you in any way. God bless.

No comments: