Last day in hall
Right now most of my stuff has already been shifted back home and here I am, on the last night of my hall stay in AY 06/07 in my hostel room.
Bittersweet feelings if you ask me... I have a challenging holiday of part time work, courses and community service ahead of me which is sure to broaden my experience during these three months. I lived on the top floor of Raffles Hall and at first did not relish the thought of having to climb 4 1/2 flights of stairs to get to my room... but the view is terrific I must say. And as much as I would like to get back the same room, that will really depend on whether anyone else eyes this group of split level rooms.
I had a conversation with one of my friends recently, he bucked the trend by the fact that although he graduated with a pass degree in civil engineering, he's already been promoted once and is being considered for another promotion (with an increase in salary that will bring him above that of a good honours holder). How many 2nd upper holders can get 2 promotions in a year? He's a live example of the fact that a good honours, or honours for that matter is not really the matter - working attitude and competence are what matters.
Of course I will still try my best to get at least a 2nd lower.. i will know on the 26th how close (or how far) I am to that aim.. :P
Some trivia: I reclaimed my Pink IC 2 years ago today.... 12 hours to the exact time.
3 comments:
i think he's actually part of the trend, rather than bucking it..
True, i was thinking more of the perspective that good grades != good career prospects (except maybe in the civil service). No prizes for guessing my friend's in the private sector. :D
i think he was referring to the perspective as well =)
honestly if you look in the world today, not many people are working that hard to get grades. i daresay you're one of the few who literally kill yourself over things like that - it's rare to see it anymore because people have realized that grades aren't everything. Your friend who commented has a good point - such a perspective -is- the trend these days
Post a Comment