Concerns on tuition fees
Dear Sir/Mdm
I am relieved by the announcement from Prof Shih that tuition fees
for AY 07/08 will not be increased. However, I have the following
reservations:
1. The President mentioned that expenditure is increasing, but
however, the University will absorb these costs for the coming year
ahead. It is my understanding that this absorption cannot go on
indefinitely and that fees will have to be revised in the future to
match these increasing costs.
2. At present I have observed several wasteful practices in NUS. The
Civil Service practices a 'Cut Waste Panel' whereby members of the
public can write-in with their suggestions. Is there a similar body
in NUS?
I wrote to the Cut Waste Panel but was told that its purview only
extends to civil service organisations. Following that, I have e-
mailed the Quality Service Manager with these suggestions but have
received no reply.
Hopefully, if these wasteful practices can be eradicated, the
University can save on operational costs.
3. Finally, may I clarify that I do not forsee myself being affected
by any of these increases as I am on track to graduate in AY 08/09.
However, I am making these comments out of consideration for my
juniors and those who will come into NUS in years to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment