Wednesday, December 06, 2006

NUS fee hike again?

First off, exams are over! But I know I could have done better. Anyway, what's done is done. Now to have a good rest, enjoy the holidays, before getting back in full steam for the next semster.

Well, we all know that after the recent elections, all kinds of prices have gone up. Electricity, transport, and now, GST is increasing to 7%.

Someone out there (lost the URL but go check it out) did some sums and came up with this conclusion: the ones who would be hit hardest are the ones who earn the least!

But I couldn't help but wonder if an NUS fee hike is next. We had two fee hikes in as many years. If another one is around the corner, I will not be affected as I have a 2 years' lag due to NS, and hence, when it kicks in, i'll be out of here.

But my juniors will be affected. And the fact of the matter is, early Nov 2006, there was a closed door forum between the admin and some student leaders with regards to 'undergraduate tuition fees and financial aid'.

is another fee hike on the way? I really hope not.

Anyway, something to chew on. Is meritocracy REALLY the best policy for singapore?

".. it dawned on me that though the starting point was meritocracy, the end result was dictatorship and elitism. In the end, that was how Sparta crumbled. Yet, Athens, a city of philosophers known for its different schools of thought, survived. What does this tell us about out-of-bounds markers?" - Ngiam Tong Dow interview with Susan Long

I wouldn't claim to have the best, one-size-fits-all solution. That is why we have so many different systems and policies all over the world. Different policies work for different countries. Does meritocracy work for us? Perhaps it did, in the early days of the founding fathers.

I've been following keenly the Wee Shu Min affair ever since it broke, and for the record, that was indeed the inspiriation for my previous post on Father Mother Scholars vs PSC scholars.

meritocracy: - 'governing or the holding of power by people selected by the basis of their ability'. And what is the selection criteria here? In our local context, that's a rhetorical question...

elitism: - 'the advocacy or existence of an elite as a dominating element in a system or society' Is that the case in our local context?

We, FM scholars have missed our chance. Will there be another, better one? I do not know. But definitely not in the public service, not in the public sector. I long for the day when a FM scholar rises head and shoulders above the rest and takes up a high post in public office. But given the current practice, it may not be possible.

Happy holidays everyone!

No comments: