Wednesday, July 13, 2005

relief teaching - disappointed

i received a call from one of the HOD in my school today, informing me that my relief teaching assignment only commence next monday and there would be no lessons on wednesdays. Hence I have a grand total of 10 effective days which means that I would get only $650 for the whole assignment when by my previous calculation, it's $915. Also, I was told that I am only required to teach D&T and not Maths also as the teacher i would be covering only teaches D&T.

The glimmer of hope would be that I would be covering the form teacher duties, which means i have to be there every day, else they may even tell me i only need to be there for lesson and pay me hourly rates which is peanuts already.

Nevertheless, half a loaf is still better than none. i hope this opportunity would give me an insight into life as a teacher and more importantly, whether this job is for me or not.

I have a few more chances, during the main vacations to come in and teach.. after my graduation, i will go on to NIE and after that come back as a full-fledged teacher.

My main regret about my 3 months break since ORD was that i got started on my job hunt too late. If I had started while i was clearing leave, none of this would have happened. MOE took *two months* to approve my relief teaching application (like what the hell? next time i must submit it earlier, in March or something) and also, no responses from JobsDB!! Maybe only one, which called me yesterday before i knew about this... And what with not taking up tuition assignments during my 2 1/2 years for fear of being disciplined for moonlighting??? In the end the one to lose out is me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey saw you in school. haha. it's quite cool actually, to teach in the school that you used to once study in. HAHA. see you ard. and TAKE CARE

matthew said...

haha, thanks, are u one of the st john cadets or something?

goes to show that my blog readership is not as narrow as i previously thought. *shudders*

but then again, i am a long way from becoming like xiaxue or mrbrown. (not that i want to, anyway.)