Sunday, May 15, 2005

CHC / Christianity bashing?

I've just read the blog of some noted blogger in town. Shall not reveal who though...

It amuses me sometimes the extents to which people go to criticise Christianity, especially on the issue of tithing. Most of the criticism that I've heard so far when people know that I'm a Christian, and from City Harvest Church, is that "oh is it the one that forces you to contribute 10% of your pay every month?"

HELLO?

1st of all, no, tithing (the 10% of our income thing) is NOT mandatory but we Christians believe that by putting God first in our finances, He will bless us in return. Hence, as a church, members are encouraged to pay their tithes to God as the Bible clearly teaches us to do so. However, tithing should be done out of a cheerful and willing heart, and never out of compulsion or necessity. The Bible says that God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Cor 9:7 So if there are church members who for some reason do not wish to tithe, no one is going to force them.

2nd, CHC is NOT the only church which practices tithing. Most if not all churches in Singapore and I believe throughout the world do so.

Haiz.. I don't see why this thing must become such a big hoo ha amongst people...

Oh and also, there are ppl who "add salt and pepper" (direct translation from chinese) and say that CHC imposes 20% tithes or what which is totally UNTRUE. The power of gossip.

Said blogger also don't believe in blind faith.. its the sort of "Show me God, then I'll believe in Him". What a pity.. Paul said in 1 Corinthians: "18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written, 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.'" The mind which is hardened against God will find all sorts of excuses not to believe and trust in Him.

Having said that, I believe it would be better if all Christians were to brush up on their apologetics... Meaning explaining the basic beliefs in Christianity... Its something like sales lah, u need to convince others of what you believe in, religion is the same thing... Because many potential fruits are lost when the labourers are not properly equipped to explain with confidence and in so doing lead others to Christ. Almost everyone on the streets will have heard of Jesus Christ but whether they believe and trust in His redeeming work on the Cross is another matter altogether.

And for the record, nowhere in the Bible does it say that "God helps those who help themselves." Go check it out. But it's still a basic concept in Christianity that in order for us to see a move of God, we have to act on our faith first before it will happen.

No comments: